Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bodybugg update

So this is a little update after one week of using my Bodybugg. I really like it. It's motivated me to log my food every day which I rarely did before. Today I updated my weight and got to see all the goals and results pages update. Fun stuff. The program compares your actual results based on weight loss compared to the results you would have gotten if you had logged accurately.


One trend I see is that it looks like I over-estimate some of my calories - which I knew. I'd rather err on the side of caution so when I eat a yogurt, for example, if it's a flavored, fruit-on-the-bottom kind I usually don't eat the fruit but I count the whole thing. I usually round up not down when I'm not exactly sure of my portion size. So I lost a tad more than I "should have" based on my food log. This could be a water weight thing - time will tell if this is a trend or a fluke. The program says that most people under-estimate. So it's a great reality check if you tend to do that.


PROS:

It's an awesome accountability tool. It encourages me to log my food daily - something I've never done regularly. It's fun to update my calories burned and see what each activity actually accomplishes. It makes me try to squeeze in extra activity whenever I can. I'm more likely to say "hey let's go for a walk after dinner" if I can see an actual graph of how that will benefit me. It takes the guess work out of deciding if I can "afford" to eat something and still reach my goal. I've actually eaten more this week because I had more confidence that I was doing the right thing. It's allowing me a new level of control over my progress. If I don't wear it for a period of time it knows it and asks me to put in my activity for that time period - giving me an option to say "I burned the same as ... yesterday", etc. It's not uncomfortable to wear.


CONS:

The food database seems limited. I frequently have to put in my own nutritional information. Not a huge deal but I wish it were more comprehensive. The armband is low profile but not invisible. I have to think about what I'm going to wear in public.


Overall I am really enjoying it and it's breathed new life into my motivation - but it's pricey. DH surprised me with it and called it an anniversary present. He has since said it's not my real present. In reality he did it because he knows how important it is for me to succeed this time and every bit of help helps. We have been doing this together and he is already pretty much at his goal. He's lost about 50 lbs and looks and feels amazing. But from the outset we knew he would have to stick with me until I am in the maintenance phase as well. He is giving himself a little more freedom with portion size but we're still eating the same things. This is one way for him to provide me with support and he loves to do that. For him the reward is a healthy and happy wife - worth the cost I think :)


It cost $165 and that includes 6 months free subscription to the online service. If you have the $ in your budget and you are motivated by seeing real time results I think it's a good idea. It's as much a toy as a tool but it's helping me keep my focus and that's a good thing because I still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment