Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weekly Update

(end of week 5/beginning week 6)

On the Scale
Lost this week: 3lbs

Total Loss: 17.2 lbs

At the Gym
3 days at the Gym

Bike @ home on non-gym days

Bike ride with the boys

Family Walk (while the boys biked - great workout trying to keep up with them)

Weight Loss Yoga 1x (but I got a new yoga mat and I'm super motivated to use it this coming week)

I'm thrilled because I was able to go much faster this week - almost up to 3.5 on the treadmill. I know that's not all that fast but considering I started at 2.8 or something like that I am impressed. It actually feels easy. I've been switching my cardio machine throughout my workout because I'm worried about the repetitive stress / impact of the treadmill. And I simply can't do 30+ minutes on the elliptical or bike without going insane. So I do 15 - 20 minutes on the treadmill, switch quickly to the elliptical for 10 and then finish off on the recumbent bike. I was able to get through my workout on Saturday morning without my little ankle support thingy and it worked out great. No pain to speak of. I hope that continues. My heel still hurts - but that's hurt for ten years (the reason for my treadmill fear). It doesn't interfere with my workouts so I can live with it. Ice helps and that makes me happy.

In the Kitchen

I made meatballs this week. From The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. They were awesome. I am really happy to have a meatball recipe that I like. I've always envied people who made their own meatballs. Now I do and they're healthy!

We also went to Whole Foods this week for the first time. There isn't one near us so we took a little field trip. I was under impressed. It turns out that my local grocery stores have a good selection of organics. The meat and prepared food WAS impressive though. After spending nearly $20 on a boneless Turkey Breast I think I will be impressed from a distance in the future. We don't have alot of wiggle room in our budget and I will quickly send us to the land of Ramen Noodles if I spend that kind of cash on meat... so we'll do it when we can but for now I'm just going to have to not think about all the icky stuff in our meat - add that to the reason we pray before meals :)

We had a great dinner at the beach last night. I made Chicken Salad with grapes and apples and Canola Mayo on Ezekiel Bread - so good!

We indulged a little with the brown rice sushi - because of the sugar in the rice vinegar - and then there were the PopChips (see below) but this week my kitchen yielded lots of wonderful healthy meals and snacks. I'm happy with the choices we've made. In may ways this is getting easier. My fridge and cabinets are stocked with whole, healthy foods

The Closet
My favorite pants feel all loose and ready to fall down if I'm not careful. I am not feeling like running upstairs to try on stuff right now so that's all for now.

** I think I'm officially "in between" sizes. The pants I'm wearing now will fall down if I don't watch it, the next size down is not comfortable -but does fit. **

Challenges and Goals
I want to step up my workouts this week. More yoga, maybe a second cardio workout each day??? I don't know.

Our little trip to whole foods yielded an unexpected temptation. We bought the boys a bag of PopChips to try. They're made from white potatoes and not fried or baked. We tried them and in the end shared the bag between the four of us - saving a little bit for Grammy (aka my mom) to try since she is a chip fiend. The bag had 3 servings at only 120 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving. Not that bad in the big picture but that was the first time a white potato has crossed my lips since we started this healthy new life. Add in all the stinkin salt on those chips.... plus the sodium in the soy sauce we used on the awesome brown rice sushi.... yeah, that little trip was sort of that temptation I was bragging about not having. Anyway, not horrible choices, but not quite in line with the attitude I know I need to have to persevere in this thing - not at this stage anyway. On the bright side - PopChips are yummy and I'm glad there is an option for my kids and for the future other than baked chips which are not yummy (IMO).


No comments:

Post a Comment