Sunday, July 18, 2010

What exactly is needful?

"Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me
neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God. " (Proverbs 30:8-9)



This verse is not really about food. It's about the condition of our hearts. The fatal condition that causes me to slack off on my devotion when things are good and even when they are horrible. It's about idolatry - wanting what I don't need and valuing what is not best. There's more in there, but that's how it relates to this blog.

This blog is about me and my needs (it's my blog right?). What I need most is to be content and satisfied with what the Lord gives me - to look to Him for my daily bread and for my joy, satisfaction, peace, freedom, etc. All of those things are the "needs" and He is the solution to all of them.

Here's the link: If I am looking to God for my daily bread (only the food that is needful for me) I will feel conviction over gluttony and other besetting sins that are really rooted in idolatry.

Practically speaking this is my weight loss blog. I have finally applied my desire to "honor God with my body" to my health.

Even more practically - I need to lose weight. I need to have self-control, self-discipline and to value a healthy future with my kids more than I value the freedom to eat whatever I want whenever I want.

So that's the really chaotic and not completely logical story behind the name of this blog. Get it?


No comments:

Post a Comment